Sunday, May 11, 2008

Visual Studio and Mozilla

Visual Studio and Mozilla, sitting in a tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G… Okay, maybe they're not kissing, but I'm getting them to like each other a whole lot more. I have a quick-and-dirty script that creates the filter list for the .vcproj from the mozilla directory. It appears, however, that mozilla has something on the order of 23000 .cpp, .c, .idl, and .h files, which makes loading the class viewer a bit slow. It also takes quite a bit of time to load the project in the first place.

Right now, my script only loads .cpp, .c, .idl, and .h files into the project, and does so dumbly. Version 1.0 will probably read the Makefile.in files to determine which directories we shouldn't look into, based on a simple heuristic of GNU_CXX being undefined, and OS_ARCH equalling WINNT; I may make some broad-based assumptions about platforms as well (don't include MOZ_THUNDERBIRD unless we're thunderbird, e.g.). It will also prune "empty" directories; in this regard, perhaps generating the folder tree from the output would be easier.

Still to do is to set up options such that clicking "Build" or "Debug" does The Right Thing™. I'd also like to investigate some performance problems, but that's a long ways away. Eventually, I'd like to hook up the project file to a customized add-in that adds mercurial checkout support and adds/removes the files as happens in the hg repo (but it won't run those commands: I'm assuming people are using shared-source trees here).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A cool tutor in the ad will definitely tell about his go math materials work experience - how many students he had and how many years he has been studying.